Hormonal imbalances can cause excessive hair growth. Learn about your hair removal treatment options at The Shores Skin Clinic in Oakville.
We all have hair on our body and face (often called “peach fuzz”), but sometimes hair can start to grow where you’ve never had hair before. One condition that can account for the new growth is called Hirsutism.
Hirsutism is a condition of unwanted, male-pattern hair growth in women [source]
The biggest difference between typical hair on a women’s bodies and face, and peach fuzz is the texture and specific pattern.
Hirsutism is usually grows coarse and dark and in areas where hair usually only grows in men. It is typically seen in the face, chest, back, and the lower abdomen.
This condition is often associated with male hormones imbalance.
According to Indian Journal of Dermatology, Hirsutism affects between 5%-10% of females.
Women of Mediterranean descent, South Asian women, and women of Middle Eastern heritage are more likely to develop Hirsutism.
Why Do Women Grow Excessive Hair?
Women develop excessive facial and body hair due to higher than normal levels of androgens (male hormones), including testosterone.
Forms of hormonal imbalances that cause excessive hair growth:
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Adrenal Gland Disorders
- Medication (Anabolic Steroids, Testosterone, Closphorine, Minoxidil)
What Are Your Excessive Hair Growth Treatment Options ?
IPL/ laser hair removal is one of your best treatments for excessive hair growth, but there are a number of other options including the following:
- IPL/ laser hair removal which involves using concentrated light to destroy hair follicles. IPL/laser hair removal system can provide permanent or near-permanent results. Multiple sessions are required to achieve desired results.
- Hormone management programs.
- Healthy body weight can correct your level of androgens without the use of medication.
- Avoiding soy, hormonal meat, dairy products, or switch to hormone-free options.
- Waxing, shaving, depilatories which are options that require continuous and frequent treatments over time however, they are known to cause skin rashes and/or irritation with prolonged use.
Excessive or unwanted facial and body hair caused by hormonal imbalances is a long-term challenge.
Hirsutism can lead many women to feel self-conscious about their face and body, which often compromises their lifestyle, affects their self-image and even leads to depression.
Depending of the underlying cause of unwanted hair growth and your choice of the treatment, excessive or unwanted hair may not be a lifelong commitment.
It’s safe to say that IPL/ laser hair removal can provide a more permanent solution over shaving or waxing.
If you think you may suffer from this issue, book a consultation with one of our laser technicians to determine if you are a candidate for IPL/Laser hair removal, and if it will provide the benefits you’re seeking.